The History of Brighton College UK
Founded in 1845 by William Aldwin Soames, Brighton College was the first independent school to be founded in Sussex. Our historic gothic buildings were designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott R and, later, Sir Thomas Graham Jackson RA. As the school has evolved, so too has our campus, with numerous award-winning buildings being added over the years.
The school has a long history of being innovative, occupying a significant place in the development of British education. During the nineteenth century the College helped promote the use of individual classrooms for teaching small groups; we were an early pioneer in teaching both modern languages and science, and later erected the first purpose-built science laboratory; we invented the school magazine; and we set up the first gymnasium. From our foundation we established a reputation for entrepreneurial thinking and for questioning the traditional teaching methods.
In 1973, the school became co-educational, with the first girls entering in September of that year. Throughout our history we have always been confident questioning what has been considered 'the norm'. This spirit continues today, as we embrace individuality in a respectful community, and remain committed to the transformative powers of education. Through a culture of kindness we encourage pupils to be first-rate versions of themselves.
One of the great modern success stories of British education
THE SUNDAY TIMES